Thursday, March 6, 2014

do you remember your first time?

knitting a pair of socks that is.....
here are my first loves


i took a class to learn sock knitting
i was hooked on the very idea of knitting socks
after all......who knits socks??????
i had never heard of such a thing
i couldn't wait to start them and once i started, i could hardly do anything else but work on them
i couldn't wait to finish them & actually wear them!
i just couldn't believe i was capable of knitting something so useful & fun & wonderful!
when i mentioned to someone that i was knitting socks the response was always the same...
"why"? 
or 
why don't you just buy them?
or
what??? are you kidding? you have too much time on your hands!

that was about 8 years ago
there have been lots of socks since then 
plain ole socks
ribbed socks
socks for daughters & sons & husbands & moms
socks with cables
anklet socks
&
little bitty baby socks
ahhhh, but none are like that very first pair
and yes....
i still wear them

how about you....
do you remember your first pair?
do you still have them?
do you still wear them?

speaking of socks...there is a sock kal going on
join us why don't ya!

monstersock kal

~*~

2 comments:

  1. What a cool KAL! I'm so behind in my knitting, all my knitting. Yet, I just cast on a pair of ribbed socks. What pattern do you use for a standard pair of sock / fingering stockinette socks? Are you a two at a timer like Oocha? I have still to go down that path, though she recommended a lovely book. I borrowed it from the library, but think I will make the commitment to a purchase :) I love the socks in the photo. I love to see how sock yarn knits up, it's special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, my----i'm old, but yes, I remember my first socks---sort of bulky dorm socks, long long worn out. now, probably well over 100 pairs of socks later, i do still have my first self-striping socks and they still are some of my favorites. (The advantage of having so many socks....you don't wear them out!) (NOOO. I don't own all those socks----I give them away like crazy. I'm now working on filling hubby's sock drawer, too. ) i am not addicted to sock knitting...i am not addicted to sock knitting.....

    ReplyDelete